Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Backyard

This is my backyard.  Only about five miles to the west of my apartment are these incredible sandstone formations.  Today during a windstorm I went exploring these formations and the canyons around them. These were quite spectacular rising almost 1,000 feet above the valley floor.  I rode my care as close as I could and prayed I would be able to drive out again as the "road" was not even worthy of a jeep. I had visions of someone finding the car and wondering where in the large expanse of sandstone some stupid doctor got lost. I did have my cell phone and knew I could always call my daughter in Poland for help.

I felt like I was in some futuristic movie like "Planet of the Apes" as all I heard was the wind and all I saw was the tumbleweed and sand.  I went up canyons with walls that blocked out almost all the light and squeezed through passages that would have made Twiggy squirm. Alas, Charlton Heston was nowhere to be found and I did not see the Statue of Liberty buried anywhere.  I will be back again some weekend when the weather is better and the time to the do the canyons justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment