Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Uranium Mines

A few days ago I was out exploring and came across some old cinder block buildings in the middle of the desert near a cliff. There were a few "Keep Out" signs which for me has the exact opposite effect. There was a lot old steel and metal equipment that had not been used for many years.  I thought it was some sort of a mine and thinking gold I did some further exploring.  I found nothing especially unusual and went on my way.  The next day I asked about it at the clinic and I got "Oh you mean the old URANIUM mine".

In the late 1940s through the 50s there were about 400 uranium mines started in the Southwest.  All now have been abandoned.  Many Navajo worked in the mines and many today suffer from high rates of lung cancer or have already died.  Only recently did the federal government begin to clean up the sites and pay reparations to the miners and their families.  Most  who worked the mines and knew nothing about the dangers of radiation.  Many did not even speak enough English to know exactly what they were mining.  It is a sad tale of our nuclear past that still haunts us in the present.

I am glad I did not remain at the old mine site long.   I was told the only danger there now is from exposure to Radon. However,  if the lights go out and you can see me easily, just keep a safe distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment