Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter, Passover, and Navajo Nation

I just returned from my brother and sister in law's house in Albuquerque and had a great time. We had a Seder where we all read the Passover story from Hagadahs on I-Pads.  The story may be old but the technology was new.  We had Christians,Jews and even one Muslim.  I am so grateful to Deborah, my sister in law, for hosting the event.

It is Easter also and having spent almost as much time in a church as a synagogue in my life I like to think about Jesus, the gift of life, and resurrection. I look at resurrection as not just an individual rebirth after life but as the renewal and rebirth we as a group and society can seek and take part in.  No matter what we have done in the past there is always the possibility to seek redemption and a better life for all. The possibility is more than just hope but an active effort to rebuild from tragedy and disaster in the past. I look a Bosnia, which this week marked 20 years since the bloody civil war began, as the resurrection of a country.  I see the rebirth of Northern Ireland after centuries of hate and tragedy. Even Somalia is coming around with the start again of international flights into the country.

For many of the Navajo I hope and will work for them so that they can resurrect themselves as a tribe.  They have such great cultural traditions and identity that they can emerge from some of the desperation of poverty that is a part of the Navajo Nation to have  self-sustaining and independent lives. It is possible to blend old traditions with modern society so that all can look forward to a good life. A good education, health care, and employment will not weaken Navajo society but allow it thrive.

So today I think of God's promise of deliverance to the Jewish people and Jesus's  promise to mankind and will strive to use lessons of both in my daily work.

No comments:

Post a Comment