Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Don't tell Avis!

On the sandstone mesa road.

A "groovy" ruin.
I had a an almost free day today spent cleaning up the apartment for inspection.  They actually want the place to be "dust free" which around here is like asking an Eskimo to keep his igloo "snow free".  The red dust blows all the time and some gets inside of everything.  The inside of my car is even coated with dust even though I have never had the windows open.

I spent the afternoon seeking elusive Indian ruins in the huge expanse in back of the hospital I call the "Chinle Outback".  This area covers almost a  hundred square miles of " semi road less" area.  It is "semi road less" because the dirt roads often just end with a cow path.... or the end a cliff.  Today I took my black rental, which now is red-brown rental to find the ruins. After thirty minutes I found them going over a road that incredibly went on top the sandstone mesas.  The road turned from dirt to this shiny red rock that was only marked by piles of rock to show the way. I had to get out of my car numerous times as I came over a rise to make sure there was actually a road on the other side and not a place where lemmings like myself go to end it all. I knew a local school bus uses the road and it comes back to town every night so the road  could not be too, too bad. Although Avis and Hertz will be cringing in their rental booths when they pictures of the road I went on, I am publishing them for posterity.

There were many great ruins and the one I enjoyed the most was this "psychedelic" ruin that some ancient one built after a little too much of the peyote.

No comments:

Post a Comment