Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Cardiac Arrest

Another hard night being on call and seeing patients in the emergency room. After I admitted two patients from the ER, a woman came into antepartum(before giving birth) at 30 weeks pregnant and having her cervix open to 5 centimeters. For the un medical this means she was about to give birth to a baby 10 weeks early. I got everything ready to deal with a premature baby and then somehow her labor slowed to a stop. I had to stick around just in case she deliverd. It was 0300 and I was pooped so I asked if I could use one of the empty beds in post partum. "Sure" said the charge nurse. So I layed down for a nap. One hour later as I am dream about winning the Boston, Marathon or at least beating Marc Frommer, the door to my room comes crashing open and in charge a large number of nurses with the crash cart as the light is turned on. I bolt up to a sitting position as the code team and we look at each other. "Ooops we must have the wrong room" I hear as they scurry out of my room trying to find the patient with the cardiac arrest. That was it it for me. No sleep the rest of that night. And no more dreams of beating Frommer.

No comments:

Post a Comment