Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Monday, April 9, 2012

Johnny Depp Comes to Town

For the next few weeks they will be filming "The Lone Ranger" in and around town.  Johnny Depp and others are in town for the filming and they are using almost all the rooms in The Thunderbird Lodge, the big motel in town near Canyon De Chelly. Besides all the excitement and money it brings to town there was a call out for extras for non speaking parts.

Last week I saw the call for parts and figured this was my big chance to not only see Johnny Depp but break into Hollywood and become the next Dr. Kildare, Marcus Welby, or Ben Casey.  The call said: late afternoon and night work to play villains(check), must be able to ride a horse (check), and be between 18 and 60 (check, although barely). I show up for the casting and there is this guy who makes us all line up after we sign our lives away.  Then he goes through the line and starts separating us out like it was a pick-up baseball game.  I get placed with a large group of mostly nice looking Navajos and knew I was trouble. Sure enough I did not make the cut.  So I ask the casting director, "Whats wrong with me?"......  "You do not look evil enough to play a villain." was the reply.

"My wife would disagree."  I stated and this brought a big smile to his face but did not get me the part.

So there, my dear wife.  What you have been saying all these past 30 years about me looking evil is really not true and this comes from a professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment