Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Navajos Run Hard

The men's top three finishers.  Prizes included bicycles and Pendleton Blankets!

With the medal after the race.
Just ran a 10 k race about 40 miles from Chinle in a small hamlet called "Steamboat".  One of the toughest 10 k  races I have done due to : 1. The heat was 75o at the start. 2. It was at 7000 feet.   3. Lots of hills and steep inclines. 4. Deep sand at times. It was called the "Run for life" ( but was almost my death) and was organized by a 48 yo Navajo, Joe Curly Jr, on his family's ranch.  There were almost 100 runners and it was a well supported event with lots of water stops that were all staffed by members of Mr. Curly's family.  I have now become friends with members of the Navajo running community and the friendship has given me a window into the Navajo people.  Running as I may have said before is one the big sports for Navajo youth with many going on to run in college out of proportion to the general population.  The tradition goes back to the shepherding days when running was a survival skill as well as a way to communicate with others.  I am thankful I can join in with others and become part of the running fraternity. This event had lots of prizes and I got a nice Pendleton Bag for coming from the longest distance (Portland) as well as a medal for being third in the old farts age category. After the race I was even invited to a barbecue of a sheep's head and other ovine organs. I will have to save the barbecue story for another day as this was an event that not only sticks in my mind but sticks right now in gut.  Where is Pepto Bismol  when I need it??

No comments:

Post a Comment