Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Sunday, June 24, 2012

The big bang theory!

Yesterday I did something that the American Academy of Pediatrics would cringe at. I bought and exploded fireworks with some male friends (of course). Here on the reservation it is possible to buy all manner of explosives from the small fire cracker to the "Please don't tell Homeland Security" variety. I was amazed at the great mortar fireworks the shoot balls into the air and explode just like the ones at the great displays in Portland with many colors and lights. As the evening wore on we were exploding larger and larger devices. I had one about the size a coffee can that was the called "The Big Bang". I knew it was dangerous when it said on the side to be at least one hundred feet away after lighting. It was impressive and left a nice crater in the ground after almost blowing out my eardrums. After that explosion one of my native friends goes back to his car and pulls out one the size of a wash bucket called "The Nuke". ( I still can't believe they make these things.). This time I put cotton in my ears and moved almost to the next mesa. There is a nice long fuse which allows one to run for good cover. "The Nuke" turned out to be a multidirectional display that shot rocket like balls in all directions and then ended with an explosion similar to the "The Big Bang". After that testosterone fueled event and counting our fingers we returned to town. The "Fourth" may be an anticlimax.

No comments:

Post a Comment