Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I'm back!

After a four week lapse I am back in Navajo Country.  It is warmer then the end of April and all the children are out of school.  As a result the problems I see are different.  There are a lot of "cowboy" injuries from the use of horses, cattle, and ranch equipment.  Today, I saw two horse rollover injuries where the horse has rolled over some poor child usually after bucking them off. There are also horse bite wounds, horse stomp wounds, and horse kick wounds.  Then there are all the cattle injuries from mad cows, brazen bulls, and crazy calves.  Toss in a few ATV and motorcycle rollovers and you have a paradise for the orthopedist.

I am staying in the motel now which is somewhat of a problem for me as there is no place to cook. I am not about to live off the high cuisine of Burger King, Church's Fried Chicken, and A and W so I must improvise.  I think I will buy lots of salads from the grocery and have cold cereal for breakfast.

With the heat, the cows which roam free in town have to find shade.  There are no trees so the cows like to use the telephone poles for the shade.  They rotate around the pole as the sun moves across the sky to maintain the shade.This produces a great time keeping device as you can use the cows as a sundial.  It is quite reliable as there are never any clouds and the cows are easily spotted around town. In my neighborhood if the cows butt is pointing at the motel it is nine in the morning, at the Laundromat it is noon, at the high school it is three and at the gas station it is six.  I am not ready to get rid of my watch yet as they try to keep the cows out of the hospital grounds but they do provide a great back up.  Well since it is about moon..., I mean noon, I must get back to work and that's no bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment