Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Friday, June 22, 2012

Class, Culture, and Customs

     This week I had for the first time a non Navajo patient.  One of the physicians brought in her baby for an exam.  I walked in with the medical student and immediately noted how different the interview was. There were lots of questions from the mother, an in depth discussion of breast feeding and an ease of presence that I have not seen since I left Portland.  The past difficulties of obtaining a history were gone and the parent and I could readily see a connection

     It brought to mind how much of a cultural and class divide I have with many of my families. I often find myself struggling to get answers to very simple history questions from the parents and children. I still feel this must be a better way for me to interact with my patients so I can make the connection that will help make a healthy child.   Perhaps if I were Navajo I would know better things to say or do that would help the therapeutic process along.  Having worked in clinic where half of the population were African-American was a snap compared to relating to the Navajo. It is not that I have had any bad interactions but that I have not been able to make the connection I find necessary for a successful visit.

Ancient Ruins from the Chinle Outback
      It brings to mind how difficult it must be for couple who come from different cultures to have a good relationship.  The Jewish-Christian,  Black-White, and Navajo-Anglo couples all must deal with great barriers to make the relationship last. We have a few physicians who have married Navajo and I would love to ask them how they make a go of things.  Meanwhile,  I will seek out other physicians who have been here a while to see what they do to relate better and bridge the cultural divide I see.


No comments:

Post a Comment