Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Navajo and Jewish people

At the risk of stereotypes the Navajo and Jewish People have some common traits. They both tend to be short, like basketball, be tribal, and have great respect for elders.

The elders command great respect here and are honored with deference in stores, homes, and all public places. An elder is anyone who has achieved 60 years although there is some leeway. An elder will always get picked up by someone if they are walking a road or highway and so never haver to worry about having a car. Just go down to the nearest paved road and within five minutes someone will come along to give them a ride. Elders are also entrusted with child are frequently and very often when I see children in the clinic it is the grandparents who bring them. It is the elders who teach the children the Navajo history and traditions. There is a quiet dignity that I see in the older Navajos that others in Anglo society lack. I get to see elders on my runs as walking and listening to the winds is a pastime of many. They often look up and nod and make me wonder what they think of this nut running in high winds on the dusty mesa of the Navajo nation.

Today two parents started talking in Navajo and their child started laughing. "What are you saying?" I inquired.

" Our daughter thinks you are a grandpa. It is a sign of respect." They replied. I told my nurse about this who thought it was a great story. Now people in the clinic call me the grandpa doctor. I did not think I looked that old, respect or no respect.

The winds have died down after yesterdays 60 mile per hours gusts and dust storms. It is very quiet outside. I hope this weekend to go running up one of the forested mesas just for variety. I miss the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment