Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Two Weeks Left

I have two more weeks working in Chinle before heading  back to Portland.  I could stay longer but I need a conjugal (spousal) visit as well as a doctor and dentist visit. I hope to stay in Portland at least a month and God willing much longer if I can land a job in Portland.  I will miss being here but know I can always come back. I will miss the horses and cows eating my front lawn in the morning, the feral horses on the roads, the incredible thunderstorms almost every afternoon, and especially miss my patients.  I love how accepting the Navajo are of children with disabilities and how the loving extended family is always pitching in.  I love the spectacular sunsets and the quiet. It will all be missed.

I ran another 10K race today and it was what I have come to call " A survival race".  As the race began you could see the rattlesnakes scatter in all directions from their morning sun bath.  The race climbed only about 600 feet but the path was mostly sand which made for slow footing. The sun was beating down and the race temp was 75o at the start and about 85o at the finish.  The lizards that line the path have a good time running along with you as the snakes have all crawled away for cover. The fastest time was 47 minutes which is unbelievably slow for 10 K races but about par for a "Navajo 10K".  It was fun nonetheless and I had the distinction of being the "oldest" runner.  This is something I am not exactly proud about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment