Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Canyon De Chelly, Chinle, Arizona

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Baby Trail?

I went with Elsie, a Navajo nurse, and about 10 other nurses and doctors down Baby Trail, one of the many "trails" that go down Canyon De Chelly.  Trail is much too mild a word for Baby Trail as it descends 1000 feet down a series of ropes and ladders.  The trail is not for the faint of heart and although "Baby" may make it sound easy it could me Evil Knevil swoon.

The trail is called "Baby Trail" because a native woman was trying to escape the roundup of Navajo in the canyon by soldiers over 150 years ago. She had a baby on her back and was caught against the wall of a seemingly unclimbable cliff. She took the baby off her back, attached the baby to a board and climbed up the canyon pulling the baby by rope until she made it to the safety of the top of the canyon.


The trail is now a bit easier because of a few strategically placed ladders and ropes. It still is a challenge with the potential to slip and meet ones doom. My body and mind were saying with every bit of common sense I could muster "Turn Back" but as my wife knows, I have little common sense so I was able to press on and complete the down and up trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment